Sunday, June 1, 2008

What a week it has been!

Indeed! But we got through it and there are many blessings.
Last weekend, Ben and I stole away for an adult-only weekend at Asheville Music Jamboree. It was beautiful venue and we really enjoyed the time we were there. (Here's one of the few pics we got while there).
On Saturday around 5pm we were laying down for a quick rest to gear up for the night's festivities when I received an URGENT text message from my brother. We didn't have any phone service deep in the woods, so my heart jumped. It read, "URGENT. Mom broke her leg. Dad freaking out. Come home now!" Needless to say, we packed up with superman speed and got out to the trolley to take us to our car. I was lucky to get a ATV to take me down to the road, then I ran down the road until I found a nice man who was able to take me to a phone (he lived on the property). I called home and got the story...Mom, Esther and Dad were at the playground. Mom stepped off a piece of equipment wrong and sprained her ankle and broke the other leg in two places. Luckily, my brother and sister-in-law were able to come rescue Esther. Dad is wonderful (love you), but taking care of wee ones isn't his gift. I later listened to his 8 phone messages and heard his terror!
So we made it home in a few hours and all was well. Mom has a high pain tolerance and a wonderful attitude. She had surgery on Wednesday and got a plate, 6 screws, and a pin to give her a new bionic leg. She is getting around pretty well in the wheelchair and has lots of support from family and friends. I spent the last week with her until she kicked me out and told me she could do it herself. (: Here's a drawing E and I made for 'Mammi' on our driveway.
Part 2 of the saga: Last Sunday, we were blessed with our nephew (Ben's brother's son) a month early. Though there was a little fright at first, Colt Wesley Fleming and Mama Courtney are home and doing great! Ben and Esther went down for a few days last week to visit while I stayed with Mom. Esther entertained everyone and is still talking about baby Colt.
Now we are back to "normal" here in Athens. Both back to work and E back to her toys, sandbox, and her own bed. Esther and I were able to go to the new Athens Farmers Market yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. We got some baby carrots and garlic (courtesy of Becky and Boo), a loaf of Luna Sourdough, and some soap for new Mama Courtney (courtesy of Ansley's Songbird Soaps - thanks!). We are gearing up to go to the Blueberry Festival in Alma, GA this weekend. We'll be swinging back through Valdosta to see Colt and then a quick stop in Albany to see my Uncle. We've got the traveling dust this summer, so more pics and stories to come!

No comments: