Thursday, January 14, 2010

Settling in...

So, it has taken me a bit to settle in to this new year. Normally, I am refreshed and excited for a new year to start. I feel it an opportunity for new things, rebirth...you know, a NEW year. Well, this year I have struggled a bit with that. But, good news - I'm coming out of it.
For one, this was the year anniversary of losing our dear friend, Russel Hays. I think of him daily, hear him laugh at times, smile (and cry) when I hear his music, and am amazed at the sheer beauty of how his wife and kids have turned this situation into something beautiful. Still, though, there was and will always be sadness at each new year's day.
Also, the idea of Ben starting back to school wasn't so great to me. We really missed him through the fall and I was really lonely. We loved having him home for 3 weeks (even through sickness) and I wasn't quite ready to give him back to Emory. I am happy that he is enjoying school, however, and know it is only for a time.
My goal for this year - spend more time with friends. I always complain of not having really strong, meaningful friendships, but am realizing it is my own darn fault. I pass up opportunities to go out or think "Oh, I don't want to bother them." when I feel like I need to unload some emotion. But, you know what? That's what friends are for. So, this year, no being lonely!
And then there's that sweet/sassy daughter of ours. Always going through something (driving us crazy at times), but bringing us such joy. I love watching her and Ben - she loves her Papa something serious. Working to spend more time with her. Not just time, but positive energy and enjoyment and love to make her think she is the most special little girl in the whole world.
So enough feeling 'blah' and time to spread some love.
These two, I love.
And if you are reading this, then I love you too - immensely.
Many blessings to you and yours in this new year. May it bring you lots of joy and a positive outlook on the many things we have to be grateful for.

No comments: