Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Little Blessings #9

My Job! That's right - I love my job and feel it is such an amazing blessing. I love the ladies I work with, of course the atmosphere, and what I do. I've worked at the State Botanical Garden for about 4 years at varying capacities. From field trips and summer camps, to registration guru, to my present (and favorite) role of curricula writer.
I mainly work in developing and training teachers on our Garden Earth Naturalist curriculum that is geared for 3-5 grade students. We have been approved to be published Nationally through 4-H, which is so very exciting! It is really neat to think that this wonderful environmental education tool will be available to children all over the country. I digress, because I could talk about this wonderful program for hours...
As a not so on-the-way sidetrack to the Environmental Education Alliance conference a few weeks ago, we went to the Okefenokee Swamp. We took a motor boat out on the swamp for a few hours. Below are some of the pictures. Oh, and the first picture above is from our Exotic birds and reptiles of the forest program. That was a BABY anaconda!

Cutie
Golden Club
Bladderwort
Creepin' alligator...
we stopped counting at 27 gators about a 3rd of the way in.
My boss and I walking through the pine/palmetto forest - a very important ecosystem that is quite endangered due to fire suppression and development.

A bit more about my job - as part of of the University, we are an outreach facility. Well, I have to give my boss the "Above and Beyond" award for all she does. Beyond what she does to help educate teachers and children about protecting our natural world, she is an amazing woman and friend. She has been so flexible with me throughout school, pregnancy, and babe. I am so sad to leave Athens and this amazing experience I have had at the Garden. She is a blessing that is hard to express. I always thought that a 'mentor' was kind of silly, but she is definitely that. Someone to strive to be like and to leave a legacy. Again, I digress. I just really love my job and am sad to leave...
Speaking of leaving, I have an interview on Thursday. Please pray for me to find something that will fit into our new life in Decatur and still be able to provide for the family in every way (time, hugs, and financially).
Love and blessings!

No comments: